Thursday, October 2, 2008

Media Fast

So on Sunday, Bishop Fowers offered a challenge to all ward members to take part in a 2 week Media Fast. That means you can only listen to, watch, and read what a missionary is allowed. I debated whether or not to try it out because I love TV, but in the end I decided it was a worthy goal. 4 days into it I'm feeling very good, I've gotten so much more done, I've been happier, Dave and I have gotten along better, I'm more in tune with the Spirit, and I feel much more inclined to be a good person. The negatives, none. (I consider blogging ok because it's a journal, which missionaries are required to write in). It was weird driving in silence at first so I downloaded some General Conference sessions that I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to. It's funny because I drive around all teary eyed because I can feel the Spirit of the great men and women speaking. I'm actually totally psyched for General Conference this weekend, and not just because we get to stay home from church which is why I'm usually excited. The Bishop chose these 2 weeks because they are the weeks surrounding Conference. Our Bishop is so great, I love him and his counselors so much! Dave and I also have the best calling. We are ward missionaries. Sounds lame, but we choose to think of ourselves as "Super Friends." Our calling is basically to be friends with everyone in the ward, all my dreams come true. We got to go meet 2 new couples this week at their homes and they were both so nice and so fun. I'm so excited about our new friends that we probably would have never met otherwise. So wish me luck with the Media Fast and feel free to join in if you'd like. This really is the best kind of fast because you still get to eat tasty treats!

7 comments:

Trinity said...

It was so nice to hear from the Powell's. That media fast sounds great. I actually find it calming to ride in the car with no sound. I especially like to do that when Andrew is in the car with me. But when I am alone I can go deep in thought. I should do the media fast. 2nd I am so glad that you love work. I wish I only had to work for days a week instead of 5 and 6. By Saturday I am thrashed. Last but not least I am glad that the moving went well. If you need any decorating ideas. They are burning through my skull. So I really want to go back to school. I think that I really need to get my bachelors degree. For sure right now I need to lock my associates in. I only have 4 classes but they are computer and math. YUCK. Glad to hear from you-see you Sunday. Sorry so long. Lots to talk about

Lindsey Rose said...

Joni, I love that! What agreat idea, I am totally in. I will start tomorrow! Glad to hear that you moved too, cant wait to see picts.

Marky said...

Glad to see all the new post.. I'm glad works good and the moving went well! We need to come see the house again now that your all in! Way to go on the media fast and the new calling! I definitly need to do that cause I have so many fall shows I watch!

Trevor + Tiffany said...

Joni, the media fast is pretty cool! I should try it. We quit TV cold turkey. Tyson became a TV addict so we got rid of our dish...yikes. When it was gone I found out I was a bit of an addict too :( I am for sure a better mom without it. I want to come see your house...soon!! Like maybe next weekend?!

mike and elise said...

What a wonderful idea! Maybe we'll have to try it out. Congrats on your new home. It looks gorgeous! Isn't it neat to have your own place?

Michelle said...

The media fast really was awesome! I'm glad to hear you did it to. That's what helped me do it, knowing that others were doing it too. :) I love our bishop, he is so inspired!

Meredith said...

That's a way good idea.I wish we didn't have a TV because sometimes we watch it just because it's there. I'm impressed with your attitude about your calling...it could be an intimidating onebut you've made the best of it.