Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Here's To 4 More Years

Today is the official 4 year anniversary of the day I met the love of my life. Time flies, yet it seems like forever ago, weird. So how Dave and I met that fateful June 11, 2004... I was supposed to go to a Kenny Chesney concert with my friend Autumn, but she had a big test the next morning so she was trying to get out of going. So my friend Mindy agreed to go with me, but backed out at the last minute because she "didn't have any clean pants." That was a really weird and lame excuse (sorry Mind, it was) so I was pretty sad. Autumn and I then decided to drive to Usana Amphitheater to sell the tickets. When I went to pick up Autumn she told me that she had made other plans to go wave running with Brad and Dave. I was kind of confused because I thought she was staying home from the concert, but whatever. So as we drove to the concert she called Dave to cancel wave running because "we have to go sell these Kenny Chesney concert tickets." Turns out all of Dave's friends were at the concert but they didn't have a ticket for him so he really wanted to go to the concert. He said, "I'll go to the concert." Autumn said, "You and Joni can go together." Dave of course asked the typical blind date question, "Is she cute?" Since Autumn's a good friend she said, "Yes, she's hot, you'll love Joni, etc." Thanks Autumn!! We drove straight to the Riverdale Target parking lot where we first laid eyes on each other. Dave was driving his parents green Mercedes which was good in my eyes, I was kind of a gold digger back then, oops! When he got out of the car he wasn't very tall (he's only a 1/2 inch taller than me). He had a blue tooth headset in his ear which I hate, it just made it look like he was trying to be cool, which later I found out was exactly the plan. Autumn stripped out of her cowboy shirt and belt and gave them to Dave to wear to the concert and we were off. Dave was such a charmer. I loved everything about him, but it took a minute to get used to each other's personalities. I laughed the whole way there. Not one awkward moment, that's when I knew it was love. I hate awkward pauses. When we arrived at the concert and started walking through the parking lot, he grabbed my hand and said, "Let's just get this over with so we can enjoy the rest of the night." I agreed. It felt so natural yet so exciting to be holding his hand. We had stopped at Shopko on the way to buy a blanket, 2 ponchos in case of rain, tootsie rolls, and stinky feet gummies. When we got to the gate they said, no food allowed, so Dave, trying to impress me with his honesty, started throwing away all of our treats. I, being myself, tried to whisper "not the stinky feet," because they were hidden in the blanket, but Dave threw them away too. We still laugh about how he really didn't want to throw away the candy but he didn't want me to think less of him for wanting to sneak it in, silly Dave. We missed all of the opening bands and the GA area was packed with people that had been there since noon staking out a good spot. We just walked up to the very front and center of GA and ran into Betsy Martineau and her friends. We stood with them the rest of the night and had a great view. We cuddled and danced to the music and had the best time. It didn't even feel like we had just met because I was so comfortable having Dave's arm around me. Meant to be!! Dave took me home and came in even though it was late to watch my Skydive video because I had just gone the week before and he was planning to go the next day. Luckily Mar was in town still (they moved to Cali shortly after that) and she got to meet him that very first night. We didn't want to leave each other so he stayed over pretty late chatting.
The next day I went to watch him sky dive. Turns out I was more in love with him then he was with me. It took him some time to come around, but it was worth the wait.
I love you hubby!! Thanks for making these last 4 years amazing!
Dave said to me earlier, "I hope we have 4 more wonderful years together." Um, I'm pretty sure you can only say that at like the 50th anniversary. Silly Dave. We laughed about that one. He was totally kidding by the way, you know Dave, always good for a laugh.

3 comments:

Trinity said...

That was so fun to read-I have never heard the whole story. I knew you met on a blind date at Kenny Chesney, but not the WHOLE shabang. That is such a cute story to be able to tell. Best part is-"Real love stories never have endings." Time does fly. Andrew and I will have been married for 4 years Aug. 12 and together for 9 years on Oct. 23. I too knew from the moment I met him that it was meant to be.

~adelle said...

Happy 4 Years!!! I bet you have spent a good portion of the time just laughing. :) love ya both.

Lindsey Rose said...

I hope you don't mind that I peek on your blog, but I loved hearing that story! I have never heard it because by the time you and Dave started dating me and my hubby had already moved to Tennessee. That is so sweet. You married a great guy, and that part about him throwing away the candy fits him perfectly. I agree with Adelle I am sure you guys laugh all the time!