Thursday, July 24, 2008

On Achieving Goals

So, I've worked since I was 14 to become a Dental Hygienist. Well, 10 years later, I'm 24 and I'm a Dental Hygienist. I can officially say my name and title: Joni J. Powell, BS, RDH. It's crazy to think how hard I worked to get to where I am today. Would I do it again? No. Was it totally worth it? Yes.
I can't even think about what it would be like to have to study for another test or try to find another poor schmuck to let me clean their teeth without having a major panic attack.

My School Story:

I started at WSU in August of 2002. I took a series of random general courses such as economics and accounting just to make sure that I really did want to be a hygienist. Sure enough, hygiene was for me. I worked as a dental assistant for Dr. Talbot for 3 years prior to starting hygiene school. I worked full time by day and went to school full time by night. Upon starting hygiene I had to quit in order to focus ALL of my time and ALL of my efforts. Everyone says that hygiene will break you down to tears frequently, but I thought I was too strong for that. I guess I was wrong, it only took a month for me to be completely humbled by school. I feel like I was totally blessed the entire way through school; otherwise, I wouldn't have made it. I met so many cool new friends while in school who taught me a lot about real life and about myself. I met some of the best people I've ever known and I've met some of the worst kinds of people I've ever known. Both types have taught me life lessons. I hate life lessons!! Through all of the joy and tears I was able to accomplish my ultimate goal of becoming a dental hygienist. I found out while on my cruise that I had passed the clinical board and I was officially qualified for licensure. On June 2, 2008 my dental hygiene license became active and I started work on June 4.
I work full time, which in the dental community means 4 days a week, for Dr. Talbot. He is so great, he held a couple of days for me since September 2007 and the other couple of days since March. I'm so thankful that he is so kind and generous. The 1st month working was ridiculously hard! I pretty much hated my life. I went from having 3 hours at school to see one patient, to having 40 minute appointments booked solid with no break from 7am-1pm and then from 2pm-4pm. That's 13 patients in 8 hours. It makes me tired just thinking about it. I have to just take it one patient at time to avoid becoming overwhelmed. It's been 6 weeks and I think I finally have a handle on things. As long as I don't get behind on a morning appointment, I should be fine the rest of the day. Getting my first paycheck was awesome! That's the moment I said to myself, "Ok, I guess it was all worth it."

5 comments:

Marky said...

Way to go Joni!!

Trinity said...

I too would be so proud of myself and my accomplishments if I were Joni Powell, BS, RDH. I need to go back to school and make something of myself. I wish that i would have just finished 3 years ago. (When I took a break to try to get prego). But now Andrew is going and we can't afford to go at the same time. OH well. I will one day. I have to. But I just want you to know we are so proud of you and the woman you are and all of your accomplishments in life. You are perfect for Dave and we love you.

Amber and Zach said...

Congrats on your awesome job missie! That sense of accomplishment it worth it all!
Next time you head to Vegas, stop by and have dinner with Carlie and I! It would be fun!!!

Mar said...

Joni, you are so amazing! I am so proud of you!! I only wish I could have been there on your graduation day!

Katee said...

Joni,
I needed to hear this! Way to go, I love the 4runner and I too look forward to graduation when I can have a brand new vehicle! (never had one before in my life, still driving a pos) but mostly I look forward to that first paycheck:) first i have to make it through school. Wish me luck